Patient/Family Advisory Council
To better understand the needs of our patients and their families, in 2008 Mission Hospital invited former patients and family members of former patients to develop Patient & Family Advisory Councils.
Our mission for the Councils is to actively engage patients and families as partners with Mission Hospital, in support of our philosophy of Patient and Family Centered Care. The Councils seek to enhance the delivery of care by providing a collaborative vehicle of communication between families and hospital staff to improve the healthcare experience. The Councils exemplify our hopes for Mission Hospital to continue to maintain and enhance the level of healthcare services our community has come to rely upon.
The goals of the Advisory Councils are:
- Provide a vital link between Mission Hospital and the community
- Provide supportive channels of communication between families and hospital staff
- Provide input and feedback on delivery of services for patients and their families
- Review issues referred to the Patient and Family Advisory Council and provide recommendations
- Monitor, evaluate, and address needs and issues of multicultural families
- Provide input regarding new and existing program development
- Promote an environment offering excellent and safe healthcare through collaboration of families and staff.
Mission Hospital currently has three Patient & Family Advisory Councils: Critical Care Service Line, Women's Service Line, and Mission Hospital Laguna Beach. The councils meet monthly and are currently involved with hospital orientations and join hospital staff at staff meetings to directly engage the perspective of the patient and family. Their contributions to the care environment have been significant, ranging from input on visitation policies, individualized care plans, the patient/family meeting process, and marketing campaigns to participating in process improvement teams and serving as community ambassadors.
The role of Patient/Family Advisory Councils at Mission Hospital continues to expand. To find out more about our Patient and Family Advisory Councils, please call 949-364-1400, extension 4321.